Friday 11 January 2019

Fruity Picks #12 - Hyper Plan: Budget Visual Project Management

As a freelancer, I often find myself with my fingers in many pies. Currently, I’m doing some volunteer work for my local village museum, developing two websites, posting in my three blogs, and trying hard to finish at least one of the three books I’ve started writing. Managing my time is important to me, and with my background in project management, I like to have some semblance of a plan to keep track of what’s happening and when.

Whilst I am perfectly comfortable with software like MS-Project, it’s pretty much overkill for what I want but in the same vein, most ToDo applications aren’t quite good enough. I’m also a convert to visual planning tools having been using Kanban style boards in a number of consultancy gigs I’ve had.

When I came across Hyper Plan a few years ago I got quite excited, and after playing with it for a week or so, I’ve been using it as my project management tool of choice for my own work ever since.

Hyper Plan was created by Oryx Digital Ltd, a UK business owned and run by Andy and Claire Brice, and is aimed very much at people like me, who need flexible planning tools that are also affordable. Version 0.5.0 was released in beta at the end of 2014 and the latest version is 2.9.3 which went live midway through last year. The home edition costs £25 whilst the pro-edition is twice that but enables links (connections) between planning items. This is not a subscription model (thank goodness!) and is available on a 60-day trial.

If you are familiar with Kanban boards you’ll immediately feel comfortable with Hyperplan’s appearance. The screenshot below is for my writing activities.

My high-level, overall writing plan
As I mentioned, Hyper Plan is amazingly flexible. Rows and columns are completely user definable, and you can add as much or as little detail as required to manage your work. As items move through your defined workflow, you simply drag and drop them and the appropriate properties will automatically update. Planning items can be assigned to team members if you are in a bigger outfit than my one-man band, as can scheduled dates, detailed item descriptions and status flags. In the pro version, you can add timing constraints (connections) so that items are forced into a chronological sequence or can be linked by another relationship. Almost every property can be customised to your specific working practices - and it’s not often that a tool adapts to you rather than the other way around.

Almost everything is configurable


In addition, you can link to other Hyper Plan plans so it’s possible to maintain a master plan and directly access subordinate plans, although as far as I’m aware not changes will propagate between the plans so you still need to update items manually.

For Kanban purists, you can see the work in progress counts for each part of the workflow, but there is no way of limiting it automatically.

If you need to share your plans with a wider audience there are various output options available to you. Multi-user access is not currently supported but the developers have indicated that they will add this if there is sufficient demand. I suspect that for most people this will not be an issue.

This is such a great tool for managing work. I heartily recommend it, especially for freelancers, writers, web developers and anyone else involved in complex activities where you need to be on top of things. Download the trial version. You won’t be disappointed.




3 comments:

  1. Many thanks for the review.

    In think it isn't in the spirit of Hyper Plan to limit work in progress. But I think it would be useful to allow the user to specify certain constraints (e.g. no more than 7 cards in the 'in progress' column) and show a visual alert if any constraints aren't met. Something for version 3, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 60 minutes courses Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. project planning

    ReplyDelete